Tips on How to Keep Your Head Up?

This is more so a question than a post...

I love writing.  Obviously.  And everyone has always told me that I am great at it.  So how come when I reread my writing, I feel like throwing it out every time?  I  know I know.  We are our own worst critic.  But lately I find myself doubting myself more and more.  I can never seem to get writing urge up high enough to actually write more than twice a week.  Oh, I think about it all the time.  Plotting, creating, rewriting.  But I am losing confidence in myself.  Maybe I shouldn't ever look at that dang grading system Word has.  And maybe I actually should believe what my friends say when they read my writing and all they can respond is a big "I love it!"  I know rough drafts are just that: rough.  But my inner demon keeps yelling at me that I am just not good enough.  I don't know...

My question, to you writers out there:
How do you get past your own worst enemy?  aka...Yourself

Comments

Keary Taylor said…
That's a good question... one I ask all the time. Sometimes I guess you just have to believe what people are telling you, that what you write is worth while. Keep your chin up!
Brad Jaeger said…
I threaten to stab my brain with a q-tip if it doesn't shut up. Seems to work.

In all seriousness though, I just try to remember that I'm my own harshest critic.

At the end of the day, I'd rather be writing something, even if I suspect that something sucks, than not writing at all.

"The first million words are practice".

Popular Posts