I think its about time for an update, don't you?


I really haven't been posting updates about myself lately.  Oh, there are things to update... but I thought it would be nice to post fun thoughts and tips/tricks instead of my usual "here is what has been happening" posts.

But, the time for an update has finally come.

Ok.  (Trying to focus.  My mind is everywhere today and I am hoping that forcing myself to write this post will help to at least reign it in a bit... I apologize in advance for any ramblings that may come of this...)

I have been working this last week on my opening scene for PN.  After fixing it up, I sent it out to a few close friends, and forced my husband to listen to me as I read it aloud.  Everyone came back with almost the same comments, which I found interesting.  There was one section that all of us just felt awkward about, but couldn't seem to fix it right.

Then I sat and had a lovely online chat with one of my best childhood friends, Jessie, and she finally woke my mind up (after sending me the scene back bleeding with red...)  So I sat down at about 11:30 pm a few nights ago and busted out some word-age... and now I am happy.  I ended up adding almost 700 words to it, creating a new chapter, and changing what was once a small awkward flashback into a much stronger, establishing scene.

Yay for brains awakening!

This week in class we are going to be focusing on Act 1 of our novels... that means about 9 more chapters for me to wade through.  I have to admit: I am not going at this as gung-ho as I know I should be.  Its daunting.  And I am too self-critical.

I love PN.  It really means a ton to me, and I am proud of it.  I am in that stage that I need to remind myself that I write for me, not everyone else.  Still, at the end of the day, you do hope and dream that everyone else will love it as much as you do.

On more side notes, I have started following (stalking...) agents.  I figure its never too early to start building your dream list, and watching their every blogging move in the hopes that someday it will open a door for you.  Its another very daunting task.  Just the thought of writing out my query letter and sending it to these awesome people sends my stomach a-butterflying.  (No doubt an entire post about query letters will be coming in no time...)

__________

Oh!  I just have to make a shout out to Alyson Greene, who just picked up representation from Jim McCarthy from Dystel & Goderich Literary Management (the very same agent who represents  Carrie Ryan, author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth ).  VERY exciting times for you Ashley.  CONGRATS!

__________
 
Class in in a few hours.  I think I will go surf some internet, tickle my kiddos, and think about editing my novel.

Comments

Popular Posts