My Top 10 Procrastination Devices

I have been searching all the many blogs I stalk, trying to find the one who inspired my post for today.  But alas, my search failed.  So I will start this with a slight disclaimer.  I saw a fellow blogger do a post like this and I loved the idea.  If you were that blogger, thanks for triggering my head!  And feel free to note your wonderfull-ness.

Ok.

We all have our distractions.  Our reasons for why we just couldn't write/edit during that prestine time where our fingers should have been flying.  Do we admit it to ourselves though?  Or do we just declare it is because we got busy and didn't have time that day, that week, to write?

Well, here is my confession. 
A list of my Top 10 (as I can think of them right now.  I know there are more...) Procrastination reasons.  *dun dun dun*


1.  Kids.  My kids are my life, they really are.  And they are so much my life that they do not want to allow for me to have any life besides them.  I have two amazing little boys, full of energy to the brim, and always tugging at my arms for mommy attention.  How can I say no to a game of ice cream man or doing yet another puzzle, even when my WIP is crying for me as well?

2.  TV.  I love TV.  And Movies.  I love curling up on the couch in my zebra snuggie (yes, I have a zebra snuggie) and mindlessly watching show after show.  Netflix instant watch has ruined me.  I am hopelessly addicted to House.  And Glee.  How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory.  Army Wives.  Oh, the list... don't get me started on our DVD cabinet...

3.  Facebook.  Truth be told, I never sign out.  I am a stay-at-home mommy.  Facebook has become my only connection to the outside world.  I sit down to edit.  Then I see a friend is online and just have to say 'hi.'  Oh, what's that?  There are 200 new posts in the newsfeed?  Well, I just need to catch up!  Thank goodness I have at least been able to kick the Farmville/Zenga game fix.  Those were bad...

4.  StumbleUpon.  If you have not discovered this site yet, and you are serious about your writing, then do not look it up.  I won't even describe it.  I don't want to be your downfall.  But let me tell you, I have spent countless -er- hours, hitting the Stumble button.  I have found some awesome writing sites/tips that way, but that is still no excuse.  I need to do what I did during NaNoWriMo: Remove that button!

5.  Books.  My Kryptonite.  You have seen my posts.  I am addicted.  Major time.  I bought a new bookshelf from Walmart this week (that fiasco almost deserves a post of its very own) and it is already full of books.  Still, I want more.  My wishlists are full to the brim.  I hunger for the bookstore.  I spend way too much time searching through synopsis, browsing listings.  Reading.  Lots and lots of reading.  And while reading is a good thing, a great thing, it isn't really getting much done on my writing front.  Dang you, awesome books!

6.  Photo Editing.  If you don't know, my other passion is photography.  I spent hours last night drooling over DSLRs online.  I have folders full of hundreds of photos filling my hard-drive.  I love to edit them, to turn them into art.  I am trigger happy.  While it's nice knowing that my children will never lack in childhood photos...  And while I do every so often make money on the side with my click-happiness... This is a major distraction as well.  "Hm, edit a chapter... or edit this amazingly adorable photo of my baby taking a bath in the kitchen sink."  Which do you think wins every time?

7.  Hubby.  I love my hubby.  He is the perfect man for me and I crave for him to come home every day, pretty much as soon as he leaves for work.  The problem then?  When he is home, I want to be around him.  Talking his ear off.  Laughing.  Fall into my Procrastination issues number 1 and 2.  There have been times I am just sitting at my computer, talking to him, when I realize a few hours have gone by and my mouse is still hovering over my WIP doc.  Hey, he needs credit though: A ton of my writing ideas stem from a spark of a conversation with Hubby.  He is my awesome muse.

8.  Sleep.  I just can't give it up!  I am already sleep deprived from my children... when night time rolls around and I know I could be writing, I hear the call of my cozy bed.  My bedroom, the walls layered in bookshelves holding all my paperback and hardcover loves.  My pillow and blankets.  Sleep... my friend...

9.  Cleaning.  Believe it or not, I use this as a procrastination device.  "Oh, I finally have time to write.  Yay!  Wait... I saw dust starting to gather on a shelf in my bedroom.  I must dust it then spray it with cleaner and make it shine.  While I'm at it, I guess I should wash all my bedding, vacuum the carpet, reorganize my shoes..."  See where this is going?  Hubby loves it when I get these fixes.  My writing... not so much!

10.  This Blog.  Oh, come on.  You knew it was coming.  Yes, keeping a blog is a good thing.  It gives me a place to vent and create.  I am getting the chance to meet all of you wonderful stalkers.  Hopefully someday it will help by being a key player in publicity for my books.  At the same time though, here I am writing this awesome post when I could have been editing my book instead.  What to do what to do.  What a pickle.  


Ok, there are my top 10.  I know I need to work on them.  A game plan is needed to push those buggers aside and let me do my thing: Write.  I will work on that.  Tomorrow.  Haha.  No, I will work on it now, today, because I love my writing and it is worth it. 

So... here I go.  Ending this post!

Do you feel brave enough to acknowledge your top 10?  Do share!

Comments

David P. King said…
I will be sure to stay clear of StumbleUpon. Never heard of it, but seeing as I share 9 out of 10 of your procrastination devices (with the changing of "hubby" to "honey"), I don't need another distracter. Thanks for this creative and fun to read post. Now get busy! :)
Keary Taylor said…
haha, awesome post Jenni! I totally understand those!
Kimmel Tippets said…
For me, the biggest procrastination is fear that it will never be good enough. You can't fail if you don't ever finish right? Oh, and all ten of yours too...especially since you got me to start a blog of my own.
Abby Minard said…
Oh so true. All of those are the same for me. Good luck with sorting it all out- I need a constant reminder sometimes.
For me, it's twitter. There is always someone fun to chat with. Or a link to an interesting article or blog post, every thing from the silly to the serious. I can pass hours just clicking one more link.
Unknown said…
I totally get the kid thing. I have four and it is near impossible to get anything done. Good luck! Sounds like you are doing good.
Trisha said…
Yeah, I should probably write up my own list... LOL. I am an excellent procrastinator!

Popular Posts