Book Review - The Dark and Hollow Places

The Dark and Hollow Places
By Carrie Ryan

Synopsis: (From Goodreads)
There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face before Annah left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the Horde as they swarmed the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.
Annah's world stopped that day, and she's been waiting for Elias to come home ever since. Somehow, without him, her life doesn't feel much different than the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Until she meets Catcher, and everything feels alive again. But Catcher has his own secrets. Dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah has longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah: can she continue to live in a world covered in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?

Why I Picked this Book:  Well, I read the first two.  And I just couldn't leave this book alone.  It had to be read.  Enough said.

My Thoughts:
The Dark and Hollow Places is the final installment of The Forest of Hands and Feet trilogy.  While I did enjoy it, and did turn each page to find out what happened next, I was disappointed.  Carrie Ryan is a talented, brilliant writer and I am a full out fan.  There just was something about this final book that fell a bit flat for me.

First off, if you haven't read the previous two, don't read this one yet.  Trust me.  You will be confused.  While it does recap a bit, you won't get the full effect of the story without first reading the others.  Going on...

Annah, the main character, had me switching back and forth the entire book.  I just couldn't get my bearings of what I thought about her.  I would feel pulled to her, almost connecting, then she would fall back into the: "It is all my fault that everything is happening, and I am ugly, and I am so jealous of her" state.  I was actually mad at Annah, alot.  I wanted her to shut up... sad to say... just so I could get on with the story.

The love triangle?  Yeah, it's there.  It is a little different than other love triangle instances, with the fact that now it is twin sisters, and two guys.  So... love square?  Well, kinda.  I don't even know how to explain it.  The love felt almost rushed.  As if it wasn't supposed to be there, but the editors wanted it thrown in.  I personally feel that if the "traingle" part hadn't existed, and it had just been about Annah/Catcher, it could have been much more strong and intriguing.

What did I like?  My goodness, the zombies.  Unconsecrated.  Mudo.  Whatever you want to call them.  I just wanted more.  The way Ryan described them: their moans, their bodies falling apart, how they never stopped, ever.  I couldn't get enough.

I devoured this book in two days.  Mostly because of the undead.

Sadly, there were dragging parts.  And I had a hard time connecting to most characters.  But then a scene would pop up (usually one with a zombie in it) and I would remember why I was wanting to read this book.

It definitely was not my favorite of the trilogy.  I mentally conflicted with many of the "facts" and happenings in the book, and skimmed pages near the end.  Still, I did not hate it.  It suited the trilogy.  Though I feel it didn't end the trilogy with as much "bang" or "pizazz" as I was hoping, I set the book down still feeling accomplished.

I cannot wait what Ryan has to offer the reading world next.
Now, I am off to find some more zombie readings!


My Rating:
(3 out of 5 stars)

Comments

Lori M. Lee said…
Sadly, there were dragging parts.

haha, pun intended? I've been wanting to read this series for a while, but I've been a little scared XD I am 100% a wuss and zombies make my skin crawl. But I can usually handle higher levels of violence and gore in books than I can in films so I should just dive in. *takes a breath*
Canada said…
I truly loved the moments I spent being apart of the world Carrie created. With The Dark and Hollow Place I had a few of those "ah ha" moments when Carrie ties together her previous two story lines, and adds them to this story's deliciously twisted plot. And oh what an ending! It's biter sweet, hopeful, and exactly how a series should end. If you have not picked up Carrie's series,

Popular Posts