What be Banned?

I apologize.  I am severely lacking in a good post for this Monday.
This has been a busy week, and an insane (but awesome) weekend, and sadly my mind spaced on this post.  Sad day!  No doubt I will ramble about it much more on my WIP day.  So I will hold off on that, for now.

Until WIP day, or until I can think of a better post to make up for this dismal failure of one today, I want to tap your brains.

At the end of September, I will be taking part in Banned Books Week.  I am pretty excited about it.  I am a Reader, Not a Writer co-hosts a great Hop for that week, and I am all signed up.  (To learn more about Banned Books Week, click here.)

Now, here are my questions:
1. What is your opinion on banning books?  Should it be done?  Is it good, or bad?
2. Do you know of some great banned or challenged book titles?  Old books?  New ones?  Do share!

Thank you!
I am really hoping I can get some good feedback, to both questions.  So... type away!  I need your input!

And, as always... Happy Writing



Comments

Valen Steel said…
My two cents? In your own household, ban a book all you want, but if your child or whomever really wants to read it, they WILL find a way to read it. In the real world arena - schools, libraries, etc? NEVER!

~V
I would never ban any book, period.
David P. King said…
Not a fan of banning books. No. Shouldn't happen. I may not like the content, but that just means it's not for me. Who am I to stop someone from reading something that speaks to them?
SarahSparrow said…
Most challenges come from parents. I think it's a parent's job to watch over what their own kids read (my mom certainly did, and while it was frustrating at times, I never had an issue with it), but they certainly don't have a right to tell other peoples' kids what they can read.

Harry Potter is often challenged in schools by parents who have never even opened the cover. I love this series.

Popular Posts