My Favorite Books - Part 2

I know I know.
I was supposed to post this on Friday.  But Friday happened, and the post didn't. Let's just say that having a photo editing backlog (as awesome as it is) sure can impede on my writing and blogging.  I need to find my groove with all of this.  And I will, I promise.

Ready for another segment of My Favorite Books?

For those of you who don't know, this is a segment I post every so often, in which I share one of my all time favorite books.  The ones I love so much, I reread more than is probably healthy.  Ones that just a 5-star rating doesn't do justice for.
This segment's book is:

Ender's Game
by Orson Scott Card

Okay.  Ender's game, and both amazing series that branch off of it.  I have to include them all.

Have you read this book?  Oh my, I love it.  Card is such an amazing writer.  I discovered him years ago with his book Enchantment, then sadly forgot about him.  A few years back a friend handed me Ender's Game and told me that I just needed to read it.  I did.  Then I bought it.  And the two series that branch from it.  And I have reread it.  Many, many times.

In Ender's game, the earth has been attacked by aliens so nicely named Buggers (you know, because they resemble bugs... political naming at its best!)  Ender is a third child, which is mostly unheard of in that time.  And he is a genius.  His sister Valentine and brother Peter are also geniuses but lacked the traits needed to be accepted in the Battle School.  Ender, of course, has it all.  So off he goes.

This battle school floats in space and houses the smartest children of the world.  They are trained for battle, for leadership.  They play an awesome game in zero-G.  And, like any school, you have your good... and you have your bad.

Ender must find a way to not only do well in school, but survive.  Along with that, the world leaders have their eyes on him.  The Buggers are getting closer, and the leaders have planned to use these children to fight the last battle.  With Ender as the leader.

It is so hard to summarize this book.  I just love it.  The conflicts that abound.  The broken family ties.  The loving sister and psychotic brother.  Loyal friends and angry enemies.  Aliens.  It has it all.  All through the eyes of a child so much smarter than his years, but a child none-the-less.

Then there are the series that branch off of it.  One follows Ender as an adult in exhile.  The other follows Bean, one of Ender's team mates, as he goes back to Earth and the wars waiting there.  I can't pick which series I love more.  I honestly can't.

And what's this... I have heard rumor that Card will be writing one more to connect and end these two awesome stories.  Is it true?  Does anyone know?  I am dying here!

If you are looking for a great scifi with easy reading, deep thoughts, and an awesome mix of humor/fighting/smartypants... Read Ender's Game.

Here is the synopsis:


In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut--young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training.
Ender's skills make him a leader in school and respected in the Battle Room, where children play at mock battles in zero gravity. Yet growing up in an artificial community of young soldiers Ender suffers greatly from isolation, rivalry from his peers, pressure from the adult teachers, and an unsettling fear of the alien invaders. His psychological battles include loneliness, fear that he is becoming like the cruel brother he remembers, and fanning the flames of devotion to his beloved sister.
Is Ender the general Earth needs? But Ender is not the only result of the genetic experiments. The war with the Buggers has been raging for a hundred years, and the quest for the perfect general has been underway for almost as long. Ender's two older siblings are every bit as unusual as he is, but in very different ways. Between the three of them lie the abilities to remake a world. If, that is, the world survives. (Goodreads)


And to add to Orson Scott Card's awesomeness, he wrote a "how-to" book titled How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy.  It is such a great read, you forget that you are learning.  I am sure this book will get a segment of its own soon enough, but I had to mention it now!

Comments

Julie S said…
This is one of the best books I've read!
David P. King said…
Ender's Game Love! Yay! :)

Popular Posts