Book Review - Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy
by Kiersten White

Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Evie's always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours.

But Evie's about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


Why I Picked this Book:  I have seen this book around for some time and heard great things about.  Not to mention I identically bought book two a year ago, and finally decided it was time to give in and get book one and start in on it.


My Thoughts:
The cover is just gorgeous, the overall plot intriguing, and the opening sentence promises humor and a light-hearted read.  (A vampire stuttering and confused due to the protagonist yawning as he attacks.)

While I was pulled into the story and did overall enjoy it, I have to admit it was not what I was hoping for.  It is a well spun story about a girl who has been raised in an underground paranormal tagging facility.  Since Evie was little, she worked for IPCA, due to her special ability to see through glamours.  But now a teen, she is yearning for one thing: normal life.

Then the paranormals start to die.
One by one they are hunted down.  And Evie just might be the connection between the hunter and their deaths.

Like I said, the story was very gripping.  But the main character, along with other aspects,
I had a very hard time connecting with Evie.  She was raised hunting down paranormals to tag (aka keep track of), yet she barely knows how to fight.  She solely relies on her little stun gun she lovingly named "Tasey."  All she seems to care about is herself, how she doesn't go to public school, how much she loves her teenage soap opera she watches daily... She is very self-centered and honestly, annoying.  Pretty much: An a-typical teenage girl.

As the plot progressed, it became hard for me to tell who the actual bad guy was.  Reth, the creepy faerie who seems intent on making Evie his.  The mysterious fire woman who is killing paranormal after paranormal.  All of the above?  Maybe?  Both were intimidating in their own ways, leaving me to wish I had gotten the chance to know more about their evil selves.

Regardless, I kept reading.  I was intrigued with Lend, the boy who breaks into the facility in hopes of finding a way to stop the murders and instead finds Evie.  Yes, there is a love story in here.  And I would easily fall for Lend.  He is a paranormal in his own way, and watching his character develop and grow was awesome.  I just wonder why he fell for Evie...

I have been battling about what to rate this book.  I finally settled on 3 stars because yes, I did enjoy it.  A younger reading audience would most likely thoroughly enjoy this read.  Regardless of the things that bugged me, it was very well written.  I laughed.  I kept reading.  And I do plan to read the rest of the series.  I am hoping Evie gets over herself a bit more, and for goodness sake learns how to fight and throws that Tasey away!

My Rating:
(3 out of 5 stars)

Comments

Popular Posts