Chilling with Kindergartners

My oldest son is in Kindergarten.  Well, almost done with Kindergarten.  He actually turns 6 tomorrow and in a few months will be a big bad First Grader.  Those thoughts are giving me a major mommy moment though, so moving on...

His class right now is learning about the jobs people do.  I am blessed with the ability to spend every Tuesday helping in the class, and yesterday I got to do more than the usual tech-time/hallway working.  I was given the chance to stand in front and share with these awesome little kiddos the things I do.

What a blast!

I started with telling them I have THREE jobs.  Oh, their eyes went wide.

I first explained that I am a stay-at-home mommy.  A few had doubtful looks on their face.  Is that REALLY a job?  After I told them that I "get" to do the laundry, dishes, cleaning, errands, budgeting...along with playing with my kiddos, they seemed to understand it was a bit more than Netflix marathons and naps.

Then I shared my love of photography with them.  It was a blast watching the kiddos giggle at photos I have taken of cute little babies and sit in awe of the awesome gadgets I get to use when snapping memories.

And finally, I talked about books.  And reading.  And writing.  The kids ate this up!  They helped me edit a sentence on the board, I showed them different drafts of my book, then finally pulled out the finished thing for them to see.  Their faces were lit with the joy of books, and I couldn't help but smile.

Don't mind the strange face.  I was talking...or growling.  Either way.

Their questions to follow consisted of: "Can you write one hundred books about cats?" "Can you write a pink book about pink?"  "Can you write one million books about one million things?"

I then turned it around and told them:  "Sure, I can.  But you can too!"
Their faces lit up even more.

It was amazing being able to share this passion of mine with my son and his friends.  His face was beaming the entire time, and when his teacher asked if he was proud of his mommy, he nodded happily.
I love making my son proud.

The two most important things I told the class?
  1. We all make mistakes.  We don't always get it right the first time.  That is why we learn and edit and grow.  So never give up.

  2. The best way to become a better writer is to read and read and read.

Then I finished with having each kiddo in the class sign a copy of my book.  I am going to keep this forever.


What a great way to spend an afternoon, and an even more awesome way to get me revved back up into finishing the edits on Lady Justice!  Which I am doing.  Right.  Now.




Comments

Popular Posts